J-Dictate, Turning Thoughts into Text!
Do you have computer keyboarding skills but you would find it easier to dictate your documents, reports, or letters to your computer? Rather than typing your regular updates to Facebook and Twitter, wouldn't it be easier to say what is on your mind?
meet J-Dictate, the productivity tool! Download the Audio Podcast or Download the Accessible World Presentation!
Whether you’re looking for a way to stay on top of your personal "to do list", or you want to impress the boss and stay ahead at work, J-Dictate can help!
J-Dictate combines the excellence in screen-reading from Freedom Scientific's JAWS for Windows with the unparalelled voice recognition capabilities of dragon NaturallySpeaking from Nuance. Used soley for dictation rather than command and control, J-Dictate gives to the blind user the flexibility of being able to dictate what you would like to say in many computing applications and receive spoken or Braille-based confirmation at the same time. Perfect for home, school or fun!
What Can J-Dictate Do For Me?
Building on the success of our flagship J-Say product, (allowing a visually impaired person to control the computer by voice alone and receive speech feedback from it), J-Dictate gives you the confidence of being able to dictate text into the computer and know that what you've spoken is accurate. Have fun and get more done on your PC!
- Full echo back of your dictation, either phrase by phrase or when a sentence is completed, essential so you know your text is accurate.
- Keystrokes to verify whether the microphone is enabled or disabled, together with changing how much text is echoed back as you speak and to activate and deactivate the microphone with provided audio cues. /li>
- Rapid methods of correcting errors which may have been made during dictation.
- Backup and Restore utilities. Save and restore your Dragon Voice Profile to your local computer or external drive/network source.
- Additional support for training the pronunciation of words and phrases.
- Context sensitive guided prompts when creating a Voice Profile for the first time.
- Complete access to the Dragon NaturallySpeaking Vocabulary Editor.
- Additional support when using Dragon's audio transcription facilities.
- Create J-Dictate Text Notes for reproducing large blocks of text with a single voice command. Works even with Dragon Home!
- Quickly create commands to mention a user on Twitter or to send a Direct Message with many Twitter clients. Works even with Dragon Home!
- Full comprehensive User Guide which describes installation, together with teaching you how to use the product to get the most from it, all delivered from a blind person's perspective.
What Else Can I Do with J-Dictate and Dragon NaturallySpeaking?
- Do you love the web? Use your voice to search the web or specific websites for recipes, information, videos, directions, or browse online stores with commands like: "Search Google for Italian restaurants in Cardiff", or "Search video for puppies".
- Do you have Writer's block? Think out loud to capture ideas in popular word processing programs.
- What about online shopping. Dictate your grocery order on your favourite shopping site.
- How About Family? Email friends and family by dictating and sending messages with your favorite Email client, and manage kids’ activities, social engagements and other appointments in your calendar by voice.
- Stay Connected. Update your Facebook and Twitter status by voice, or speak into a chat client (such as Skype) instead of typing, to quickly IM friends and family with phrases like: "Post to Facebook Looking forward to seeing my girlfriend this evening", or "Post to Twitter I’m going to be in London next week. Anyone want to meet up?" Even create Custom Words to easily speak Twitter Usernames for mentioning other users or even hash tags.
- On the Go. Capture your thoughts and ideas while away from the computer and convert them to text when you are back at home or the office. If you are using your phone, your audio notes can even be synchronised back to your computer automatically using an app.
J-Dictate allows you to dictate text into almost any application and have the text echoed back. In the event that Dragon NaturallySpeaking itself is unable to communicate directly with the required program, the Dictation Box can be used. This is an environment where text can be dictated and edited before immediate transfer to the application. J-Dictate of course supports the Dictation Box.
J-Dictate does not disrupt any JAWS default settings files. When the JAWS program is updated, even from one major version to another, J-Dictate will still function without any intervention.
J-Dictate can use the least expensive of the Nuance Dragon NaturallySpeaking product line. It works with Dragon NaturallySpeaking Home or Premium. Home Edition is ideal for straightforward dictation, however you may wish to purchase Premium for use alongside an iPhone or digital recorder.
Computer Specifications and Software Requirements - What You Need to Know!
Please read this section carefully! If you have any questions, please Contact Us by Email or telephone.
It is important that the computer on which J-Dictate and associated products are to be installed conforms to the following minimum specification, and that the software requirements are met.
- Pentium 4 or Core 2 Duo Processor (or laptop computer equivalent). Faster is always better!
- 4GB of RAM.
- 16-Bit 'on board' soundcard (Full duplex) or preferably a compatible USB Digital Sound Converter.
- All releases of Microsoft Windows7, Windows8 and Windows10.
- JAWS for Windows version 11 through to 18.
- Dragon NaturallySpeaking Home, Premium, Professional, Professional Individual or Legal version 13.0, 14.0 or 15.0. Within the United Kingdom, please Contact Us! by Email or telephone for pricing details!
- A high quality headset/microphone. Please Contact Us! by Email or telephone for microphone recommendations.
- Optionally, a high quality portable digital recorder for audio transcription (Not for use with Dragon NaturallySpeaking Home). Please Contact Us! by Email or telephone to discuss which voice recorder would be suitable!
About the J-Dictate User Guide
The J-Dictate User Guide comprises two Books. The first Book consists of the "Installation Guide", which gives you step by step detail on how to install your J-Dictate product. It goes onto describe the voice training enrolment process and how to configure the Windows operating system, associated applications and the J-Dictate software to perform optimally. Finally, the "Installation Guide" discusses the hardware and software which should be used to ensure you can get the most from the J-Dictate interface, all using non-technical language where possible and delivered from the perspective of visually impaired people wishing to install the product.
The second volume consists of a J-Dictate tutorial or "Learning Module". The tutorial teaches you how to use J-Dictate and how you can educate the software to learn how you pronounce words and phrases. The tutorial also gives practical examples of how you might use your Dragon NaturallySpeaking product and J-Dictate in real world situations. Again, the language used is not technical, delivered using step-by-step instructions.
How to Purchase
Prices are in UK pounds and American dollars.
J-Dictate Single User License is priced £80 (approximately 100 American dollars).
Whether you want to Dictate a quick email, search for a recipe, or speak a homework assignment straight into your PC, it’s easy, quick and fun! You’ll get way more done than you ever imagined and you’ll wonder why you ever slaved over a keyboard!
J-Dictate, let your voice make the choice!